Sunday, May 6, 2007

Thamizh vazhga: Long live tamil


I have always enjoyed reading poetry especially in tamil. I have been an avid reader since childhood. One of my all time favourites are Aganannuru and Bharathiyar kavidaigal and Thirukurral.

There is one very favourite song of Mahakavi bharathiyar, which I would love to quote here.

தேடிச் சோறு நிதம் தின்று
பலசின்னஞ்சிறு கதைகள் பேசிவாடித் துன்பமிக உழன்று
பிறர்வாடப் பல செயல்கள் செய்துநரை கூடிக்
கிழப்பருவம் யெய்திகொடுங் கூற்றுக்கிரைஎனப்
பின்மாயும் பல வேடிக்கை மனிதரைப் போல
நானும் இங்கு வீழ்வேன் என்று நினைத்தாயோ
- மகா கவி சுப்ரமணிய பாரதி
Let me try and translate it to the best of my knowledge. Forgive me if there is any sorkutram and porulkutram ( Mistakes ).
This song is been addressed to Death
Searching for the daily bread
Bickering of unwanted things through out
Churning in the day to day misery
Hurting all others in the way of achieving pointless things
Getting older day by day
Succumbing for death finally and going without a trace
Do you think I am one of those funny people
Who would carry on life this way and fall your way....
Mahakavi Bharathi.
What a great personality and what a thinking? Hats off to him.

No comments: